Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Bleach-Added Mats

SARS and avian flu hit Hong Kong between 2003 and 2006). Almost 3 years later, you can still see the psychological effects. Asian cultures traditionally have a thing for cleanliness but what you see as you walk around Hong Kong is something entirely different. In the estate where we live, the buttons in elevators are covered by a thin plastic sheet and there is a note above it that reads, “Sterilized every 2 hours.” I guess if I were to live in an upscale high-rise in New York or someplace like that I might expect the same, but it is interesting to note that the building managers chose to acknowledge their constituents expectations and post the note in addition to providing the service. It’s like going back to your hotel room and finding a note saying, “Your toilet was cleaned twice today.” When you enter a private area from a public one you will often see a distinctive red mat covering the entire entryway. One of the newest ones I saw still had the factory tag covering one corner. “Beach-added mat,” it proudly announced. During the 2003 SARS outbreak, major news outlets frequently associated facemasks with Asian capitals. Living here, the only places one routinely sees masks are hospitals and behind food service counters. I asked an aunt for clarification of why only some people wear masks even now, and she said most people do it if they have to be out in public while they have an illness. She explained that after SARS, people are worried about getting unknown diseases and so if you are on the subway and someone sneezes, that car will be empty 2 stops later. I thought it was hyperbole when she first said it, but the next time I sneezed in public, I thought I saw my personal space growing. So if you’re thinking about coming to visit, please do. If you’re in Hong Kong, at least you can sanitize the bottom of your shoes and eat off of the elevator buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment